Friday, January 7, 2011

Hello World!

Hello! I’d like to introduce my new blog, I’ve tried to blog before with no direction,” Married, with Furballs”. My previous blog went no-where, I never knew what to post and when I did I felt silly because I was rarely posting anyways so why bother? Well I’d like to rectify that. Starting with my blogs title! The title happened this past week while I was happily sitting on the couch after a day of accomplishing some domestic house duties, which I enjoy doing I might add. I’m married and I have 3 furry pets plus a decent fiber stash. So “Married, with Furballs” encompasses a lot of different “furballs”. 2 cats, a dwarf hamster, a fabric stash, a yarn stash, and a fleece/spinning fiber stash. I really enjoy and take pride in keeping my house too. Though, sometimes it does get past me if I’ve been super busy with school or work things. Do not think that my home is Sparkling, I have my off days.

I mentioned school; I’m in my final semester of a B.F.A degree in metalsmithing. My specialty in metals seems to be becoming fine filigree work. I do appreciate the other forms of metal work as I also like to work in pewter. Well ok. I do small sculpture and filigree jewelry right now. I really hope to learn to set cut gems soon and would absolutely love to learn enamel work. One step at a time and one day at a time though. I don’t have my own torch set up yet in my personal studio here at home. Soon enough, then I will get to some basic enamel work. Can’t wait! I have my first exhibition gallery show in the end of March this year, the artist opening is April 1st. I’m hoping it being on April fool’s day means nothing. *crosses fingers* So far everything is going real well for me in regards to the show. I don’t plan to post any of my work on here though till closer to show time; don’t want to ruin it you know. ;)

I hope to regularly share recipes of things I recently made here in my blog. I think I shall call this section Nom Nom of the moment. It could be daily or weekly, not sure yet. It will probably happen as the Noms happen. I love to cook and I have to substitute ingredients regularly for dietary allergies. So many things I make are personal concoctions or hodgepodges of having read 10 other things to come up with one. I won’t post it unless it meets Nommy criteria! So here we go…

Nom Nom of the moment!


Turkey Meatballs with a kick.
Makes 12 golf ball sized meatballs (Serves 4)

1 pound plain ground turkey
1/2 a medium onion minced
1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 garlic powder

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9 x 13 jellyroll pan with foil. (it’s the baking sheet with a raised rim)

2. Using your hands (don’t forget to take off your rings!), mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Then shape the meat mush into balls the size of golf balls (about 1.5 inches) in your hands and arrange them on the lined baking sheet.

3. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheet for 15 minutes.

Enjoy on your favorite spaghetti or cut them in half to make into meatball sandwiches with your favorite red sauce! I might add some mozzarella cheese slices if I had it in a sandwich.

Fiber Basket
In this section I’m going to talk about my fiber love… projects I have going and so forth. Whether it is a sewing, knitting, weaving, or spinning related thing; if it’s fiber, here it will be.

Knitting… oh dear. I just looked and it seems I have 7ish things on the needles waiting to be finished. I seriously need to finish one of them very soon as it is to be a gift for a friend whom is due in … 5 weeks? I don’t want to say specifically what it is as I want it to be a surprise, just in case they see this. The other items include 3 hats, a tiny plushie, a shawl, and a pair of socks. I should really get on top of this knitting!

The hats stories go like this. One was going to be a Christmas gift but I didn’t start it till after the school semester was over, well that was the doom, I had too much other stuff going on to get it finished. It’s about halfway. Another is a heavily cabled wonder I was working on in scrumptious misti alpaca in a crème color. It was set down and forgotten. The third I started in October and is very simple mindless knitting. It’s my travel project. Except I’m always the one driving. Ha!

The shawl? Well the yarn it turns out I’m not thrilled with at all. I will probably still finish it though. I think I will love it when I’m done, I’m just not enjoying working with the yarn. I see knots in the skein for one thing.

The tiny plushie? Well I realized I had no eyes for it after I made the head and set it aside in my desk drawer. Someone sent me awesome blue eyes for it and I added them to the drawer so the kitten wouldn’t run off with them. They are still there.

Those evil socks…. I knit one and realized that even though I was on gauge and knitting the pattern as stated for my size they where WAY TO BIG AROUND!!!!! They fit my Husband… that bad. So I lengthened them. One is done and I’m to the heel flap of the second. I work on them every now and then. I have little heart to work hard on them as they would have been the first pair of socks for ME. ME ME ME!!! But they aren’t now, so it’s disappointing a bit sometimes to work on them. Though, my husband loves them a lot already. That’s what has my heart back into working on them. But they are pretty plain socks to work. One problem, It has taken me a year to knit one.

So maybe I can use blogging to help push myself to finish these darn knitting projects. There is a Shawl I really want to knit and I’ve decided I absolutely cannot start it till I finish up this mess of knitting. No if ands or buts about it! So maybe you guys can help keep me inline and knitting! I sure hope so.

I will be trying to post at the very least weekly, if I manage daily to every other day that would be epic. So here’s to a fresh start and a New Year!

~Hugs~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You counted what you've got on needle? Even I know better than to do that. I'd get depressed.

Leslie said...

It's not that bad. Some of them are old too. After about 3 years you frog them. It's ok. ;)

Post a Comment