Sunday, January 16, 2011

What? A Head Cold? Bleh.

Yep, that's right I have a head cold that is refusing to hit the road. If course, it could be a sinus infection. I'm pretty good at getting those too. Either way, it's annoying.  It started last Saturday (16th) after a couple days it let up and I thought it was going away, I was wrong. It's lingering and refusing to check out. Because of the constant head ache and ear ache I'm leaning towards my sinuses being infected. GER!

Well even though I've not been fully functioning at my best I have still been working on my metal work and knitting. Wed. I ordered more wire and was very surprised to have it arrive the next day! I went right to work with it only to have to problem solve, after problem solve, after problem solve. UG.  I REFUSE to give up. I WILL have a finished piece. Tomorrow is the day I will get everything to work together. I'm sure of it.
Today I went into campus to help my Professor set up and get ready for his gallery exhibit that opens Tuesday.  Being there has put some pep back into my heart, to try harder and to see my concept come to fruition as a finished work. So, here's to hoping for a very productive day tomorrow in my studio and not a day frustration.

Fiber Basket
Knitting wise I have been pretty darn productive. I have been stuck on the couch a bit with the not feeling well. This is good for knitting, till I'm too woozy to see straight. HA!  Well, I finished a hat, and a scarf! I finished the horizontal cabled band on another hat too. I need to pick up 152 stitches on it now to knit the top.  I tried to finish my little house hippo out of the orange Wollmeise that I have.. UG I simply CAN'T do it. I'm HATING the WM. I know blasphemy to so many. I do not like knitting with it. I don't want the yarn to ruin the project for me so I've set it aside again. I'm going to pick out a different yarn that I have some scraps left of and make my House Hippo out of that. I have some bright blue safety eyes for it too.

Nom Nom of the Moment

I don't have a nom right this very second to share, but I am watching the show "Worst Cooks in America" on Food Network. I'm a bit floored by some of it, I kind of turn my head sideways and go ehh beehhh whhaaa??  At the mistakes that the contestants make. I understand that cooking doesn't work for everyone but I've not been subjected to those people. Those around me that lack in the cooking ability always leave it at that. They don't cook.  I can't recall a time that I didn't want to help in the kitchen. I remember standing on chairs to help.  HA! I remember standing on chairs to wash the dishes! Doing chores and cooking at a young age, I assure you, did me nothing but GOOD!  I love to cook! I get the idea to make something, I will go through my shelf of cookbooks comparing variations of a recipe before I settle on how I'm cooking it. Usually, tis a success! Woot! 

I did make some whole wheat chocolate chip cookies on Tuesday. It was my first time using whole wheat flour.  You see, I tested positive for having a Barley allergy back in August. We tested it among many other foods with an elimination diet afterwards. Barley had to go.  Standard all purpose flour is allowed to have up to 25% barley flour added to it. To my dismay most all purpose flours at my local supermarket have it.  Along with most EVERY BAKED GOOD out there. I'm now constantly found reading labels and sadly putting something back on the shelf.    So the cookies felt like a treat and they where good. Even my husband loved them. (he can be a picky bugger)

To give an idea of my dietary frustration I think that maybe I should tell you my restrictions. It will help you to understand why some future recipes may seem.... odd. Or different.
Food Allergy List:
Barley (Malt, Malted barley flour, Barley flour...) this is everywhere
Beef
Chicken (but not eggs oddly enough)
Raw Tomato
Bell Pepper ( I plan to re-test this one soon on the elimination diet)
Banana
Grapefruit
Strawberry
Mango
Cashew
Walnut
Almond

I also no-longer have a gallbladder. So about a year after surgery and I was having some other odd dietary issues and hives... My doctor sent me to an allergist.  Between a bad gallbladder and allergies, no wonder I was sick so much and just outright cranky! Now that I no longer have the pain of the gallbladder and the misery of allergies, life has become much more enjoyable. Knowing what you are allergic to is half the battle, once you know it you can take the steps to avoid those things.

~Hugs~

1 comment:

bethanyg said...

I hope you feel better soon. Aren't allergies pesky? Ugh!

Post a Comment